Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thanksgiving

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. I started the day playing pickleball with Corene Jensen and several other women in the neighborhood. It felt good to play before consuming thousands of calories at dinner.

I volunteered to make orange rolls, but Mikayla was making them too. We were hosting the Barri this year, so Mikayla and I were not duplicating work. She always has a hard time with the rolling up of the rolls, so I went over to her house after pickleball to help her prep her rolls. Mikayla is always frustrated that crescent rolls unwind as they bake. I reminded her that she needed to put the tips down so that they wouldn't do that, and then was very careful to make sure the tips were tucked under. Even though I helped her, in the early afternoon, she sent me a picture of her orange rolls unrolling in the oven. I chuckled. Don't tell her I said that.  

Cora, Freya, and Thea wanted to come to my house after I was done at their house. I needed to make my rolls, so I told them they could come if they helped me. They readily agreed and then were very helpful. They are always good company. I went upstairs after a while and found Cora reading Elephant and Piggie books to Moo Moo. It was so sweet. Moo Moo was very attentive; it looked like she was looking at the pictures as Cora read. I LOVE that!





As I said, Kent and I hosted the Barri. Brent and Brenda, Michelle and Brandon and their children Mina and Winnie, Lee, Cami, and Aaron, all came along with Tom and Suzan Nelson. Isabella and Brenda set the table in advance. It looked beautiful! They used our china, Brenda's tablecloth, twinkle lights, candles, pinecones from the yard, and Rolos as decor. Everything was terrific. Food was also delicious. We had a great time chatting and laughing as we ate together. 







I find that sometimes in the midst of challenges, I am not very grateful. I know that having a thankful heart is key to finding good in life, even in the midst of hardship. I know that I need to be more thankful and acknowledge all the blessings in my life. In that vein, let's sing together hymn 241, "Count Your Blessings."

When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold.
Count your many blessings--money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all.
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God has done!

No comments:

Post a Comment