Monday, June 5, 2023

Isabella Turns 15

Izzy turned fifteen today. Every year I am astounded that another year has passed. Izzy has just finished ninth grade, surviving her first year of high school. I thought she did very well. She is so responsible, taking care of her stuff (whatever it is) without needing to be reminded or cajoled. She is getting to be more helpful around the house and works hard when she is motivated to accomplish something. She continues to write creatively and connect with others through her writing. She is so smart and funny. She is working hard on figuring herself out and finding her place in the world. 

For her birthday celebrations, she wanted to have an outdoor movie night. As this is easy-peasy lemon squeezy, I readily agreed. We got treats and soda, popped corn, and Kent and Brandt set up the audio/visual stuff. She had friends over and they watched the movie, although there was much talking during the movie so I'm not sure how much they actually watched. 


Alec, Jane, Izzy, and Lizzie
Austin came late.

Izzy's favorite dessert is chocolate pavlova, so I made her one for her birthday. That looks like an awful lot of candles on that cake. She must be getting old!



I had a miracle today surrounding Izzy's birthday. It is Monday and, knowing that I had to work today, on Saturday I made an effort to get everything done that I needed to do in order to prepare. I wanted to get Izzy some balloons, but I couldn't figure out how to do that on Saturday and not have some of them deflate and look stupid, which I didn't want. I thought about going at lunch today, but I needed to make pavlova at lunch, so balloons didn't happen. I was sad in my heart but decided balloons wouldn't make or break the day and it was okay that I didn't have them.

As we were eating dinner, Brandt said, "Someone just pulled into the driveway." We wondered aloud who it might be, when Hazel and Sam Davis walked up to the door holding a balloon banner and silver balloons spelling "Happy Birthday." I couldn't believe it. We attached the balloon banner to the ceiling between the dining area and family room and strung the Happy Birthday above the couch. They made the house feel so festive, like it was someone's birthday.

I have no idea how the Davises knew it was Izzy's birthday. They are not our ministers, none of their girls are Izzy's age, we don't live next door to each other. I had not mentioned my desire for balloons to anyone, but God knew I wanted them and used the Davises as the means to get them for me. I nearly cried I was so happy.  The balloons were such a miracle to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment