Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Book of Mormon

In October's General Conference, during the General Women's Session, President Nelson spoke to the sisters about the gathering of Isreal.  Earlier in the year, he spoke to the youth about the same topic and gave them three invitations.  In the women's session, he issued four invitations to the women of the Church, one of which was to read the Book of Mormon.  With the invitation came a wonderful promise.  He said,
I invite you to read the Book of Mormon between now and the end of the year. As impossible as that may seem with all you are trying to manage in your life, if you will accept this invitation with full purpose of heart, the Lord will help you find a way to achieve it. And, as you prayerfully study, I promise that the heavens will open for you. The Lord will bless you with increased inspiration and revelation.
As you read, I would encourage you to mark each verse that speaks of or refers to the Savior. Then, be intentional about talking of Christ, rejoicing in Christ, and preaching of Christ with your families and friends.  You and they will be drawn closer to the Savior through this process. And changes, even miracles, will begin to happen.
This morning the announcement was made regarding the new Sunday schedule and home-centered, Church-supported curriculum (two hour church). You, my dear sisters, are a key to the success of this new, balanced, and coordinated gospel-teaching effort. Please teach those whom you love what you are learning from the scriptures. Teach them how to turn to the Savior for His healing and cleansing power when they sin. And teach them how to draw upon His strengthening power every day of their lives.
I accepted this invitation, and yesterday, on Christmas, I finished reading the Book of Mormon.  I had underlined the scriptures and passages that spoke of Christ, but I took it a step further.  I also underlined words of Christ, when he's speaking to those in the scriptures, and also passages that show his interactions with and assistance to his followers.  I wore down a colored pencil with all the underlining I did; my Book of Mormon is orange throughout.  While I have done this same exercise before, because I was trying to make my scripture study focused on Christ, I was struck, again, by what a powerful witness of Christ the Book of Mormon really is.  It's obvious to me that God is involved in our lives, that He loves us and wants to bless us.  So many times it says, "If ye keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land."  Who doesn't want to prosper?  I know there are those who don't want God the Father and Jesus Christ to be a part of their lives, but I certainly do.  My Book of Mormon reading and focus have also helped me keep Christ in my Christmas celebrating.  I am humbled by Christ's love and feel the power of the Spirit in my life as I try to be more like Him.

I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  I know its teachings can lead us back to our Heavenly Father.  I know that when I read in it every day, my days are better.  I know that the Book of Mormon gives us power and, as the Primary song says, "keeps us safe from sin."  I am committed to continue to read as a family every day because I feel the strength it brings to my life, and I want Brandt and Blythe to have that same strength through the challenges they face.  Life is better when God is involved in it, and I want Him to be central in my personal life and in our family life.  I want the miracles President Nelson promised could be ours by talking of Christ, rejoicing in Christ, and preaching of Christ.  I want increased inspiration and revelation, especially within our family.  I will continue to read and study the scriptures so these blessings can be mine and ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment