Wednesday, December 5, 2018

A Morning Snowshoe

I spent the morning snowshoeing with my friend Kim Daw.  She hikes all the time, and I began hiking with her a couple of times a month in March.  We mostly go up Rock Canyon which is close and beautiful, but occasionally go elsewhere.  She hikes right through the winter, using either snowshoes or crampons, and today I joined her.  We went up to Big Springs and did a long hike, probably about three miles round trip.  We used snowshoes because at the top of the trail, the snow was deep.  It was incredibly beautiful, quiet, and a wonderful way to get exercise and commune with nature.  The air was crisp, but we were working hard enough to sweat; when we stopped, I got cold.  While we can't do much about winter, we can certainly embrace opportunities to revel in outdoor winter activity, making the whole long cold dark period more enjoyable.







No comments:

Post a Comment