Friday, January 20, 2017

Field Trip Friday #75--Cross Country Skiing

I have really enjoyed cross country skiing the last couple of years, and I've wanted to take the children for quite a while.  Today, for field trip Friday, I decided we would go.  Last year, Janie Rasmussen and I went to Wasatch Mountain State Park in Midway.  This is the golf course, but during the winter months, they groom the course for cross country skiing.  It's a great course for beginners because it is largely flat which means less exertion and more level ground to get your skis under you.  It's cheap as well, only $6 for ski rental and $3 for a trail pass.  

The kids were excited about going and talked almost non-stop about it.  Blythe was actually nervous, but she didn't realize that she was never going to be taking her feet off the ground and that we were just going to be gliding across the snow rather than careening down a slope.  She was very relieved when I showed her hot to do it.  Although truth be told, neither Brandt nor Blythe listened to anything I had to say about form or technique or how to.  They just launched off.  Blythe skied away, getting more of the hang of it quicker than Brandt.  Brandt skied without hardly moving his legs; he used his arms to propel himself along which wore him out really fast.  Blythe was far off in the distance when he turned to me and said, "Mom, my arms hurt.  I can't go any further."  "No kidding," I replied.  "Use your legs and you'll get farther without it hurting."  He was able to continue.

It was a lovely afternoon, but we didn't ski for even an hour because there was some dawdling before we left and we didn't get up to Midway as early as I had hoped.  Next time, because there will be a next time, we'll get on the road quicker so we've got more time to ski.  And next time, I'll get a picture with me, too.  

A bald eagle we saw in a tree alongside the road just outside Midway.

 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment