Thursday, November 17, 2016

Promptings

Five weeks ago, I was called as the Relief Society President.  I knew the call was coming.  I've known for months.  But though I've known, it has been overwhelming.  I have felt the weight of responsibility for the sisters in our ward, almost all of whom I know, but not all their challenges and concerns.  I'm finding out all sorts of things that I'd be happy not knowing, but that I want to be able to help with.  I've done several food orders (I did one the day after I was sustained), and yesterday we had our first funeral.  I've been praying to know who to contact in any given day, who needs a call or a visit, who I can touch.  That inspiration has felt sporadic, though I'm certain I'm probably receiving promptings I'm not recognizing.

Today, however, I got it right.

I had a busy morning with Mikayla and her kids.  We ran several errands, and then ended up at the grocery store.  I dropped her off just after noon and came home. The back of the car was full of groceries, but I noticed on my phone a couple of contacts that needed to be joined--I had a phone number and an email, but in separate entries which makes for a long contact list.  I thought, 'I should go through my contacts and combine these so that I don't have so many to scroll through.'  So I sat in the car and started at A.  I did A-C, then realized it was taking too much time and I should stop.

Just before I stopped, I came across the name of a young man we know, Christopher.  He is the son of one of Kent's business contacts, and he has stayed with us several times when he has needed to be in Provo and hasn't really had anywhere else to stay.  He's been an easy house guest, so we've been happy to have him here.  He's been delayed in going on a mission, though he's had a call for a while, and I hadn't heard how things were going.  So I shot him off a quick text asking how he was.  Then I hopped out of the car to move on with the day.  He replied shortly thereafter that things were good, it's looking like he'll be able to go just after the new year, and he was happy to have heard from me.

It was a simple exchange.  It felt relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Then Kent called.  Christopher's dad had called him in tears.  Christopher lost his job today.  He was upset, concerned about what his mom and step-dad were going to stay, and feeling really badly about himself.  Ten minutes after he was fired, I texted him.  My simple, "How are you?" text.  His dad reported to Kent that my simple act of kindness, of showing interest, in being someone other than his parents who cared about him, turned his attitude around.  He was okay.  He was able to get up from the hole he felt he'd just fallen into and move forward.  Because of a thought--prompting--to edit my contact list so that Christopher's name came by, and another thought--prompting--to reach out, I made a difference.

How many times does that happen?  Probably way more than I ever realize.  I, we, all of us can lift each other and make a difference, even a small difference, in another's life, if we'll listen to and act upon promptings we receive.  It's marvelous!  I hope I can continue to listen and act.

No comments:

Post a Comment