Saturday, May 11, 2013

Jet Lag

Brandt woke this morning at two.  That's right--2am.  Kent got up with him (I was sleeping away, oblivious) and went downstairs.  Blythe woke at 3:30am and I did hear that.  I got up, got the children dressed, and we went grocery shopping.  Four in the morning is a terrific time to grocery shop, if you can think clearly enough to not forget several important items you will need as soon as you get home, like milk.  No one was in the store except stockers, the butcher, the baker, and one checker.  We didn't have to wait in line at all, but I did have to leave my cart at the head of several aisles because they were scattered with empty cardboard boxes.

After breakfast--consumed at 5:30am--we caught up on some TV watching (several new episodes of our favorite Disney shows and of the Lone Ranger).  At 6:30, Blythe asked if she could go over to the neighbor's house to see if her granddaughter was there and could play.  About that same time, Brandt said, "Oh look!  It's getting light outside!"  What a surprise after being up for hours and hours.

For a good portion of the day, we played and worked at my mom's house in the yard.  Brandt and Blythe  played with their cousins and I hardly saw them.  We didn't come home until nearly four.  By that time, we were all fading fast.  We had worked hard, played hard, and we'd been up for a really long time.  I was getting cloudy and couldn't think really well, and everyone's eyes were glazing over.  Finally, at seven, we figured everyone had made it long enough and the children could go to bed.  Brandt needed a shower (he was filthy from all that playing), but he was very brief, happily let Kent help him brush his teeth, and was out like a light by 7:25.  Blythe made it several minutes longer.  She was gone by 7:29.

It is now 7:49, I have spent most of the day working hard in my mom's yard, and I can hardly keep myself upright at the computer.  I, too, am filthy, so I am headed to the shower and to bed.  I hope to be out by 8:22.  So don't call us.  We're asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment