Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hobnobbing

I had lunch with Condoleezza Rice on Friday.  Yup.  Me and Condi.  And Josh Romney.  And Mia Love.  Oh yeah.  I was hanging with some pretty influential folk.  To be honest, none of them really cared a bit that I was there, except that I contributed my $100 for the privilege of being in their presence.

Several months ago, for book group, we read Condoleezza Rice's autobiography, Extraordinary, Ordinary  People.  I really liked it.  She is a remarkable woman, her parents were remarkable, and I was very impressed by all she has accomplished.  Kent got an email a couple of weeks ago about a fund-raising event featuring Dr. Rice and as I had recounted to him stories from her book, he thought I might like to go hear her speak.

I did like it.  Lunch was tasty--spinach salad, chicken in a mustard cream sauce with smashed potatoes and asparagus, and cheesecake for dessert--Condi's talk was great, and my fellow diners were interesting to talk to afterwards.  I did a lot of clapping (along with everyone else), and found Dr. Rice's comments insightful and inspiring.  Not that I am one to brag about knowing well-known people, but I would have loved a picture with Condi.

Funniest part of the experience was a Freudian slip of the tongue by Mia Love.  She began her talk by saying, "Last week I was in Tampon at the Republican National Convention."  I turned to my tablemate and said, "Did I just hear her correctly?"

"Yes, you did," she replied.  "I'm going to tweet that."  And she picked up her phone and did.  Pretty funny.

I was sitting too far away to get a decent picture, but someone else did, so here is my shot and theirs.

Does this count as proof that I was there?  
Probably not, as it is impossible to tell who is actually standing at the podium.
That is Condoleezza Rice.  
No, really.  
It is.

And here she is in focus.
And recognizable.


No comments:

Post a Comment