Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Drawing Contest

Last week, on a morning when we were home alone together (is it possible to be "alone together"?), Blythe said to me, "Mom, let's have a drawing contest."  I asked what she wanted to do and she continued, "You get a paper and I get a paper and we both draw something.  You can draw whatever you want."

I thought that sounded great, so I got two pieces of paper and the crayons and we sat down at the table to draw.  Blythe threw something of a wrench into the works when she took out one blue crayon and said, "Here is your color."  Apparently I could draw anything I wanted that was blue.  I began to draw a bird.  I am not an artist, but it was looking acceptable in my mind.  I had a beak, head, and body when Blythe said, "Mom, what are you drawing?"

"A bluebird," I replied.

Blythe said, with serious conviction, "You can't draw birds."

"What!" I exclaimed.  "You said I could draw anything I want."

"Anything but birds."

What a pill.  I told her I was drawing a bird and there was nothing she could do about it.  Then she said, "Will you draw a bird for me?"  I outlined a mom and baby bird and she colored them in.  She also allowed me to use a green crayon so that my bird could be on the grass.



These aren't too bad.  
Blythe allowed herself the use of a red crayon, too. 

Yesterday, Blythe again suggested that we have a drawing contest.  Again, I got out two pieces of paper and the colored pencils this time.  Blythe said, "Mom, you can draw anything you want, except birds."  I was allowed two colors this time and we began drawing.

I had brown and red pencils and so I drew a tree.  When I was making the trunk, Blythe asked, "Mom, what are you drawing?"  When I said I was drawing a tree she reached in and got out a green pencil instead of the red.  She thought it was funny that I was making a red tree but I told it was fall in my picture.

Blythe asked me what I thought her picture was.  Initially I thought it was a boat on water, then a volcano, but she wouldn't tell me, so I was never exactly sure what she was drawing.  She told me in the end it was a volcano, but she might have just been saying that to appease me.

A fall tree.

A volcano spewing hot lava.
Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment