Saturday, January 27, 2024

Young Women Overnighter

I have been serving again in Young Women, this time as the Second Counselor in the ward YW presidency. Not to boast or anything, but I serve with Angela Bradford and Janie Rasmussen and we are something of a power trio. It's fun to serve with friends.

We have wanted to try and recreate some of the feelings that come with girls camp--the comradery, the fun, the spiritual boost. It's hard to do all that in a weekly, one-hour activity, so we decided to do an overnighter. This would allow all the girls to be together for a longer period of time, we could somewhat dictate the schedule and activities, and we could bond. The Coveys graciously agreed to let us all crash in their basement, and so we got together last night.

The whole activity came together beautifully. We had pizza and salad for dinner, and a drinks bar the girls came back to repeatedly through the night. Me too, if I'm honest. I think I made myself four different drinks. Everyone also brought a treat and so we snacked and munched throughout the night. 

We watched a Church broadcast that was meant to be stopped for discussion and I was impressed by what the girls shared. Some of their stories did not relate at all to the question, but they were thoughtful and sincere and I was impressed how many were willing to talk. We discussed standing in holy places, standing with holy people, and testifying of holy truths.

We did skits in a bag, the "bag" part of which I put together. I wandered around the house over the past week pulling odd things off shelves and out of drawers--hats, scarves, toys, tools, random objects that could be used as props. Each class of girls had to come up with a short skit using the objects. The oldest class did the best job, performing the highest body count ski I've ever witnessed. Ten girls were lying dead on the floor at the end. My class had a difficult time focusing on the task at hand, so when it came time to perform, no one really had much clue what to do and all but one girl seemed fairly uncomfortable. 

The Coveys made the hot tub available and many of the girls went out to soak in the hot. There were crafts and games, several of which I played with Rebekah Stovall, Lizzie Jensen, Hazel Tayler, Lilly and Angela Bradford, and Becca Weidner. We all got to sleep super late, and several girls were up super early for such a late night. We had a lovely morning devotional by Emma Bradford about growing your testimony, and muffins and juice for breakfast. 

As I drove girls home, everyone said how much they had had, how they wanted to do it again, and how grateful they were that we could all be together. I deemed it a complete success.

Here are a few pictures I took at the end. I should have been taking pictures all along the way, but I didn't. All eight of the girls new to Young Women and in my class were there. It was a great way to welcome them into the group at large.

My class trying to prepare the skit.
It didn't go well.

Much of my class slept under the basketball games
as if they were in individual tents.

My class
Hazel Davis, Rebekah Stoval, Ada Bushman, 
Sophie LeCheminant and Hazel Tayler
missing: Bailey Blad, Lauren Ficker, Madeleine Lewis, and Piper Perotti 
who were there but left before we thought to take pictures.
Only Kate Seamons and Riley Perotti didn't come at all.

Middle Class
Alisa Lashchonova (non-member), Elle Blad, Rachel Jensen, Claire LeCheminant,
Emma Bradford, Lauren Lewis, Jane Jackson, Mia Thornock, and Hadley Bushman
missing: Amy Bracken who left early but was there

Oldest Class
Ava Davis, Laney Ficker, Elizabeth Stovall, Lizzy Jensen, 
Abbie Drake, and Lilly Bradford
missing: Ashlyn and Shaylee Elder, Allie Ficker, Ellie Mason, Lucy Nebeker who were there but left before the picture was taken.
Those who did not come at all: Isabella, Nicole Bracken, Taylor Crisler, 
Addie LeCheminant, Rebekah Neyman, Sarah Oyler, Jayne Tayler, 
and Anna LaComb


We should have taken a picture of the leaders

No comments:

Post a Comment