Saturday, January 9, 2021

"Pilfering" or "Collecting"

Blythe and I drove past a remarkably full and dry looking Christmas tree lying by the side of the road. It was near the 4-way stop by Rock Canyon, and was seriously too good to pass up. I knew it would make a wonderful fwoosh as it ignited, burning spectacularly. I just knew it. Kent gets tired of dry Christmas trees piling up by the side of the house. Brandt dragged two home from school earlier this week (why didn't I take a picture of that?), we've got ours and the second one we found for New Year's Eve, so there is already a collection happening. 

'But what's one more?' I thought, seeing how terrific this one would be. If I took Brandt and we got it home without Kent knowing, he wouldn't really have much to say. It would just be part of the general dry greenery out by the shed. 

So when I got home, I told Brandt we should go over to the school and practice driving, then whispered we were going for a tree. I threw some rope in the back, and off we went. When we pulled up next to the tree, a man across the road saw us and came over to offer some help with the tie up so we could get it home. We tied the rope around the truck, then around the bars on the roof of the car. It dragged along behind the car beautifully. Should we consider this act one of "pilfering" or "collecting"? I know where I stand, and I don't feel any guilt whatsoever.

Brandt and I were feeling so tricky and sneaky as we started for home, but then we saw Kent driving towards us. He was headed for Richard's house and totally caught us in the act. We looked guilty as he gave us a steely stare as our paths crossed. Didn't stop us from adding the tree to our growing collection.

Here's to pyromania!




Post edit note: Just as I suspected, this tree was a terrific burn!
It fwooshed beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment