Sunday, January 26, 2020

A Teacher and a Young Woman


Today Kent ordained Brandt to the office of a teacher.  I can hardly believe how he's growing.  He has been a very dutiful deacon, and I am confident he'll continue to grow in his priesthood responsibilities.  He is now Kent's ministering partner, and he'll begin helping prepare the sacrament.  He has self selected to be the official sacrament meeting program folder, and dutifully goes early to church each week to take care of that.  Brother Niven really relies on him to be there.  

Kent gave Brandt a really sweet blessing along with his ordination.  He praised him for his goodness and his desires to go what's right.  He counseled him to remain close to the Lord and to be valiant in the fight against Satan.  He blessed him that he would be a force for good.  It was beautiful to have Kent bless Brandt and see the priesthood in action.

This evening, we all attended a stake youth fireside with the Stake Presidency delivering a message about the Church's youth theme for 2020, Go and Do.  They asked the audience several questions, and members of the PV 6th ward were quick to respond.  When asked how we can communicate with our electronic devices, Brandt raised his hand, introduced himself, and said, "We can send email."  Good answer son!  

We were trying to get Blythe to answer some questions, but she kept scowling and saying no.  Then they asked if anyone had ever had an experience where they followed a commandment even though they didn't know why.  Blythe stood right up and very confidently shared a sweet experience which I will now have her recount.

"So, um, I Rollerblade and there's a hill next to my house. But when I go down the hill, a red fence blocks my sight so I can't see ahead of me but I know that there is a patch of grass so I can turn off onto it if I don't want to go any further. Now don't ask me why, but I was being stupid and wasn't wearing my helmet. So I start going down this hill and I think, I'll go as far as I can without pushing myself forward, to see where I end up. But then I hear a voice saying "turn off onto the grass" and I think that's stupid. It's just my subconscious. but as I near the fence I hear it again. "turn off onto the grass" and I think again that's stupid. But as I near the end of the fence I hear it more clearly and loudly "TURN OFF ONTO THE GRASS!!!" and I think fine. it wouldn't hurt me. I can go back down again. so I veer off onto the grass and right as I think that the voice was nothing, a black SUV comes screaming around the corner and down the hill. I know that if I didn't veer off and kept going, I would have gotten seriously hurt because I wasn't wearing my helmet. I also know that the "Stupid Voice" was Heavenly Father keeping me safe. 

Many people told her and me how touched they were by her testimony.  I certainly felt the Spirit as she spoke.  I was so pleased as her poise and confidence as she shared, even though she might have been scared doing so in front of 400+ people.  I didn't get a picture of her because I was behind her as she spoke.  It was beautiful to hear Blythe share her knowledge of the Holy Ghost speaking to her.  We are so glad to see her grow in faith and spiritual strength.

As it says in 3 John 1:4,  "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment