Wednesday, November 8, 2017

An Email to Charles

As the title says, this is an email I wrote to Charles, and I like the brief but fairly thorough run down of what's happening in our lives this minute.  So here we are.

Good morning dear Charles,
It's just after 7:00am and Brandt and I are up.  Kent is out of town.  He's gone to his aunt's funeral in Reno.  This is an aunt I don't think I've ever met, it's an 8 hour drive, and someone needs to wrangle the children, so I stayed home.  Brandt was put out that he didn't get to go until I told him the trip consisted of 16 hours sitting in the car, an hour and a half sitting in a funeral, and sleeping in a hotel room with three other people.  He was glad he stayed home.

Speaking of Brandt, we just measured him this morning.  He is 5 feet tall.  I can't snuggle him very well anymore, he's big, but he's a great kid and I'm glad he's growing up as he should.  He informed me this morning that he's the nicest kid in 6th grade, and that's just the way I want it.  He's learning to play the trombone and blarts around the house.  He'll have his first concert at the beginning of December.  We can hardly wait!!  He came home and performed a science experiment, melting and evaporating ice cubes in a pan.  Very scientific!  He is in scouts, and fortunately, Kent is his leader.  They go off together on Wednesday evenings to do thrifty, preparedness stuff.  On Saturday they met at a nearby park and did orienteering.  

Blythe is enjoying many parts of fourth grade.  However, when talking about what she likes about school, she said, "I don't especially like math."  She's struggling a bit with her multiplication fast facts.  Her reading, however, if fantastic.  Kent and I read aloud to the children each evening, and sometimes she can't stand the wait from day to day and reads ahead.  Warms my heart, but leaves me behind in the story sometimes.  She has decided she wants to take horse riding lessons from her Aunt Alisa, and has begun begging hourly to sign her up.  She also posted her Christmas want list on our bedroom door this week.  It's lengthy.  I fear she's going to be disappointed come Christmas morning.

The weather has turned cold.  We got wispy snow yesterday, though nothing stuck to the ground and by the afternoon, the sun was out.  We had our roof replaced last week which has needed to be since we moved in.  We've had a leak which was getting worse, and I'm glad that's been fixed.  It's expensive and a house project that very few, if any, people will notice or ever comment on.  It would be much nicer to use that money to do something inside the house, like redo our bathroom or kitchen or the basement.  But it had to be done, so there we are.  And it got finished before the weather turned foul.  

Brick, Cora, and Kal came to be with us for a bit yesterday.  Cora always wants to eat and goes right to the kitchen counter as soon as she comes in the house.  Brick wants to play with "nunchuks" and goes immediately to Brandt's room to find them.  Kal is crawling now and made a beeline for Brandt's Legos which were out on the hearth.  I had to move him clear across the room and then speedily pick them all up, but he's fast and made it back to me before I was actually finished.  They are funny kids.  I love having them here.

Eugene and Sharae are moving into their new house today.  Yeah!!!!!  It's a lovely home, with much more space, and I hope it will be wonderful for them.  I hope they can take care of it better than they did their old house.  I will go down today and help them.  I think Sue will be happy to have her house to herself.  It's been a long time.

Brandt is sitting on my lap as I write.  Remember how I said he's not little and snugglable anymore?  My legs are falling asleep.  Not only that, I need to get Blythe up so she can get to school.  So I will end here.  I'm sorry we didn't get to see you last month.  I hope you are doing well.  Consider joining us for Christmas.  We'd love to have you here.

Love you lots and lots!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment