Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pie

Today was the last day of our mid-west trip.  Our flight didn't leave until about 3:00, meaning we didn't have to leave for the airport until about 1:00, and so we had a morning free.  Alisa had been in charge of food for youth conference and had brought back a box of apples, about half full.  She wasn't sure what to do with them all, so I suggested we made apple pie she could freeze.  With more than one person preparing, the work goes quickly.  She agreed that would be great, so after breakfast and making sure all our stuff was packed, Alisa and I made pie.  

I did crust while Alisa peeled and cut apples.  When I make pie at home, I use my food processor to make the crust so it takes about two minutes from start to finish to whip a crust together.  I also have an apple corer/peeler/slicer that makes apple prep super fast too.  Alisa didn't have those kitchen tools, so we our work by hand.  Even so, we were able to make seven pies, six to freeze and one to eat, with enough time to bake and eat one before we left.  I find it tremendously satisfying to be so productive in such a short amount of time, and I might have convinced Alisa to get a food processor.  


Yum!

Our flight home was uneventful.  The flight wasn't too long, the children were good, and Mikayla came to pick us up.  I find it so fun to go away on vacation and have new and interesting experiences, and then I find it so delightful to return home.  And we returned to find that the tomato plants had exploded in the ten days we were gone and were nearly up to my waist.  Hooray for travel!

As I have actually written this post in September, I would like to add that the children talk about going back to see the Brinkerhofferschofferdos regularly.  Most of them weren't there when we were, and they want to go back when we can all be together.  A trip to Chicago and Lafayette may need to become an annual pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment