Wednesday, September 4, 2013

La Baguette, La Pagaille

I tried to make baguettes again today.  It was a disaster.  Definitely not a culinary triumph.  I followed the recipe exactly, but instead of getting long loaves of bread, I got squashed, flat breads that both tasted and looked weird.  Brandt took one taste and deemed them inedible.  I couldn't have agreed more.  I wanted to have them hot and crunchy with the black bean soup I made for dinner, but it was not to be.  This was the second time I have tried, and this time was even worse than the last/first.  I wrote a note in the cookbook that said, "Don't ever try to make these again.  Go to the French bakery and buy them, or do without."

Here's the thing, though.  I bought a baguette loaf pan, Brandt loves it, and the French bakery is on the other side of the valley, not exactly a walk or even short drive away.  And all too often when I go, there are no baguettes left.  I don't think I had enough flour this time, so I think I might try again.  On a day when I'm feeling particularly positive about life in the kitchen.

What the baguettes are supposed to look like.

How mine turned out.
Looks hopeless, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment