Thursday, November 22, 2012

School Lunch

Last Friday, parents of first graders were invited to join them for lunch.  Earlier in the week we had been asked to indicate if we would be coming and if we wanted to buy lunch.  Brandt has never yet bought school lunch, he always has me pack him something, so I opted to go with him, but not to buy lunch.  I packed myself the same thing I had packed Brandt in the morning, and joined him just before their class went to the lunchroom.

Brandt never finishes his lunch, and sitting with him in the lunchroom, I had a revelation.  I now know why he never finishes.  It was absolute pandemonium.  There was so much noise and confusion and people wandering around, Brandt couldn't concentrate on his food if he wanted to.  I tried to talk to him and his four other classmates who sat by us, but it was so loud I had a hard time hearing anything they were saying.  They all look so little, too.  Most of them, including Brandt, seemed a bit at sea.

When Brandt was done (he ate more because I was there), he stood up and said, "Now I get to go play.  I go right out that door."  I said okay, wished him a good day, and sat to finish my lunch.  After a couple of minutes he came back in and said, "You can come outside on the playground if you want."  I took that as an indication that I was wanted outside, so I packed up my lunch remainders and went out.  I watched him play with his a friend from his class, Izaiah, and several other kids I didn't know.  He was a bit more confident outside.  When I got cold enough standing around, I said goodbye and walked home.  I think I will make it a more regular thing and join Brandt maybe once a month or so.  I think I will also suggest that soothing classical music be played in the hope that overall atmosphere in the lunchroom will be calmer.


One cool dude on the playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment