Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Parking Ticket

The first day we went to swimming lessons I got a parking ticket.  Provo's new rec center is being built next to the outdoor pool, and as a result, parking is sort of limited.  I parked that first day along North Park, on 500 West, right by the sidewalk leading to the pool entrance.  When we returned to the car, there was a ticket.  I was surprised.  The curb was not red, there had been signs saying 4 Hour Parking all along 500 West, but I discovered I had, indeed, parked illegally.  

I had parked just past this sign, right past the No Parking Any Time/4 HR Parking sign.

The thing was, upon approach along 500 West, the No Parking Any Time sign is obscured by a tree.  When I was pulling up, I couldn't see the sign, and because we were in a hurry to make it on time to swimming lessons, I wasn't looking at anything except the children.

The sign in on the post behind the tree.

I filled out an online appeal because I didn't feel I should have to pay $30, even though I had parked where I shouldn't.  I didn't know!  There were pictures online the parking ticket giver had taken as evidence of my infraction, but there was no place for me to include my pictorial evidence, and my appeal was not accepted.  I was told to pay.  So I went to appeal in person, bringing along my picture. 


The children thought it was super cool that we were going to court.  We had to pass through a metal detector and I had to answer lots of questions about what it was for and why it was used.  They sat quietly next to me was I produced my evidence and pleaded my cause.  And then--vindication!  The fact that the sign was obscured swayed the agent in my favor and my ticket was dismissed.  In fact, the woman who dismissed my ticket asked if she could keep the picture so she could have someone go and trim the tree.  I was pleased that with just a bit of effort, I was able to save $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment