Monday, January 23, 2012

Celebrations

On January 12th, Kent and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary.  We went to the temple to do sealings, and then went for Thai food.  This is what we did last year, and the year before that, and very likely the year before that.  Same temple, same restaurant.  I suppose we lack somewhat in originality, but I am always happy to be in the temple with my husband on our anniversary and remember our wedding day in the same temple.

Our wedding day was beautiful.  Although it was January, it was sunny and over 50 degrees.  I had been anxious the night before about whether or not Kent really wanted to marry me, and that anxiety carried over to the morning.  I broke down and sobbed, confessing to my mother that I wasn't sure I should actually get married.  She told me to stop crying because my nose was turning red.  She reassured me that it would be fine, but only if I didn't look like I had been crying all morning in my wedding photos.  When the time came for us to leave, I had calmed down and felt ready.  As I knelt across the alter from Kent, a complete sense of calm washed over me and I knew I was doing the right thing.  It has been wonderful every day since, except for the days when it has been hard.  Kent is a wonderful husband--I am a lucky woman to have him.  I tell him practically every night that he is the best husband I have ever had.

We have a second reason to celebrate January 12th.  Brandt was sealed to us on the 12th, a fitting day we thought to make him part of our eternal family.  It all began on that day for us as a couple, and it seemed right to have Brandt share in that memorable and significant day.  We have found that the children love to hear stories about themselves, so that day, I made sure to recount to Brandt, in great detail, the experience we had in the temple when he was sealed to us.  It makes me cry every time I tell him about that day, and it makes him cry too.  Although Blythe was not sealed to us on the same day, she, too, loves to hear about her day, and Brandt always shares what he remembers as well.

Over dinner, Kent and I discussed the best parts of the past year.  We had a wonderful trip to Capital Reef (the children are still talking about it--we will go again this year), my sister got married, and we bought a house. We were able to send off Grandma Hare in fitting style following her death, and then do the same for my dad a few short months later.  Not highlights, but significant family moments and cause for celebrating the love of our Father in Heaven for each of us.

January 18th was Kent's 55th birthday, and naturally, we celebrated.  I am astounded Kent is 55 as he acts so young and immature (chuckle here).  That morning, Brandt asked Kent how old he was and when he answered 55, he realized he is 50 years older than his boy.  He felt very old (Kent that is, not Brandt).  But he is young at heart, active, and so involved and engaged with the children, one would never know he wasn't young like me (another chuckle here).  Kent wanted hamburgers for his birthday dinner, and then we had family over for pie and ice cream.  It was fun to have everyone here at our house.  We actually fit!  I didn't feel like we were sitting on top of each other.  The children had adequate room to run around with their cousins too.

It has been a happy month, with much cause for rejoicing and true celebrating.

The birthday boy blowing out 5-5 candles, as truly 55 would have sent off the smoke detector.
Don't my pies look yummy?
They were.
Blueberry, chocolate cream, jumbleberry, and apple.

The children helping blow out the candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment