Tuesday, November 15, 2011

In a Mood

I've been grouchy today.  It started when we went over to the new house to begin painting Brandt's room and I discovered that all my careful taping around the door frames, the trim, and the floorboards, had all come up.  Nothing was sticking, even though I had used expensive 3M blue tape.  ARGH!  I went over last night, after putting the children to bed and a full day of activity and additional prep, only to find all my work for naught.  I was frustrated and complaining aloud, and Kent berated me for sounding mad at him and Blythe.  I wasn't mad at him initially, but when he told me to stop complaining, I did get mad and stormed out, hauling Blythe off to pre-school.

I returned almost immediately and apologized, but so the day began.  In the afternoon I took the children over to the new house (which Blythe calls "the boring house") to "help" me paint the kitchen and bathroom floors (using a cool zinc paint Kent manufactures that prevents mold growth), only to have Brandt paint the cabinets and Blythe step in the wet paint.  Later I was frustrated when Blythe pilfered a bag of Pirate Booty from the cupboard and not only ate a whole bunch, but got a whole bunch all over the family room.  Lost a bit more patience when the children ate no dinner (because of booty) and then proceeded to bring hall carpets and the entire toy content of Blythe's bedroom into the kitchen (which is not very large) because they were "going away to college," and then ignored me when I asked them to take it away to another part of the house.

Kent said to me, "Go to a movie.  Do something fun.  You are obviously not enjoying what you are doing today, so do something else.  We'll all be happier if you do."

Maybe I'm hormonal.  I hate being prone to weird mood swings just because I'm a woman.  And I hate feeling overwhelmed by all that needs to be done and that I want to do, but can't really do because I have two small children who need me.  I want to be needed and I love to help them, but sometimes they make me crazy, like today.

I'll get over it.  Probably tomorrow.  Or maybe the day after.  In the meantime, you may want to avoid crossing paths with me.

On a positive note (yes, I'll make an effort to end this grumpy post positively), we have almost completely finished painting on the main floor of the new house.  We need to do a bit of touch up in the two main areas and paint the ceilings in the entry and laundry rooms, and then the main floor will be done.  Now only bedrooms upstairs, and Kent gave Brandt's bedroom a first coat of his bright green paint today.  We should be completely finished with all the painting by week's end.  Yeah!  I would say I am disappointed that the floor guy can't start the hardwood until next week when in my mind he would start this week, but that would sound grumpy again, so I won't.

2 comments:

  1. You make me laugh, I love reading your blog! I can't wait to see the "boring" house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the joys of motherhood, I sure hope you took Kent up on his offer to go do something fun!

    ReplyDelete