Thursday, January 19, 2023

New Job, Same Locale

At the beginning of December, I received a promotion at work. I am now the Branch Service Manager, or the assistant manager under the Branch Manager. I was glad to get the new job, but it has been overwhelming at times. My manager is not doing much, so I feel like I am doing all the things. The job is a big one anyway--I'm over branch operations including hiring, training, and the day-to-day running of the branch, as well as all the monthly and quarterly regulatory oversight. It's a lot! I had a couple of freak-outs the first month and wondered if all the extra work would be worth the marginal raise I received. 

Six weeks in, I'm still not sure. I had to hire three new people the first month and all of them have started since the beginning of the year. Midori Okamura has replaced me as the Branch Relationship Banker, and she is wonderful. She knows all the things, remembers where to find things, and is great with people. She is a huge asset to the branch and to me. The other two are tellers who have not worked for Zions Bank, but one of them, Andrew, has had years of banking experience and the other, Jill, is about my age and has had lots of managerial experience. I'm hoping they will be great, too, once they have finished their training and get to real work. 

Training has not lessened the workload, nor has Dave, my manager, really stepped up to fill in while I train. We'll see how things play out. In the meantime, I am doing all of my annual compliance and training modules at home, during the evening, because I absolutely do not have time to do it at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment