Saturday, November 12, 2022

Go, Dog. Go!

Now that my kids are too old for Young Company productions at BYU, I have opted to take the Johnsens to see them instead. Today we went to see Go, Dog. Go!, a play based on the book by P.D. Eastman. In the book, different colored dogs zoom around in cars, go to a party, and one dog always wears a hat. She asks another dog, "Do you like my hat?" The hats are always pretty boring and the dog being asked always says no, until the last hat which is very flamboyant with feathers and ribbons and all sorts of exciting things. I had Cora come over to my house before the play and she and I decorated hats, which we then wore to the play. Mikayla got her other kids hats they colored, and all of us came behatted. I repeatedly asked, "Do you like my hat?"

Before the show the kids could make origami dogs and talk to the actors. The kids were invited to sit on the floor of the stage to be close to the action, and during the play, Cora, Freya, and I all got to participate. All the kids were enthralled by the action on the stage, raptly watching the dogs zoom by. About halfway through the production, Kal suddenly says, quite loudly, "They're dogs!" They had tried to spell it out pretty clearly at the beginning, but he got it eventually. We, and several fellow play attendees sitting near us, all laughed. 

We ended out outing with a stop at the Creamery for ice cream, because that's what you do after you've seen a play at BYU. It was a grand time and I hope we do it many more times in the future.

Cora in her fancy hat.

Pick me!
They did.

Cora, Red Dog, and Kal

Do you like my hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment