Sunday, August 2, 2020

Bearing Testimony in Church

Church is weird at the moment. Only a third of the ward meets at a time, and then only those under 65. Everyone is in masks, we don't sing, there is one speaker, and it's all over in about 40 minutes. It has been nice to be with the saints again, even though we are few in number each session--between 50 and 60--and we don't get to visit very much. There is no hand shaking, no hugging, no snuggling up together on a bench.

Today was the second time we've met since March. The first time we met, I was released. Today, the bishop asked me to bear a five minute testimony, but I was the only one speaking, so I figured I would speak. He wasn't likely to jump up and stop me, if only because we are social distancing and he shouldn't be within six feet of me.

Here is my talk.

The bishop asked me last week if I would speak to you today. As I have thought about what to share, I have come back over and over to Mosiah, chapter 18. Here we read about the repentance of Alma after he is converted by Abinadi. He is driven out of King Noah’s court, goes into hiding, and writes all the words of Abinadi. Then he goes about secretly teaching, gathering in Mormon those who believe him. There was in Mormon “a fountain of pure water,” and Alma invites those who have followed him to be baptized. I love the way he extends his invitation. Starting in verse 8, Alma says, 
8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
Alma gives the people conditions upon which they must pattern their lives if they are “desirous to come into the fold of God.” He tells them they must
  • Bear one another’s burdens
  • Mourn with those that mourn
  • Comfort those in need of comfort
  • Stand as a witness of God at all times, in all things, and in all places
  • Serve Him
  • Keep his commandments
In exchange, if they follow these precepts, Alma promises they will be redeemed of God, be a part of the first resurrection, and have eternal life. 

I also like what Alma says to Helam, the first person he baptizes. When we are baptized, the priesthood bearer performing the ordinance calls us by name, then says, “Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ . . . ” Alma, however, says a bit more than that. He says, in verse 13,
Helam, I baptize thee, having authority from the Almighty God, as a testimony that ye have entered into a covenant to serve him until you are dead as to the mortal body; and may the Spirit of the Lord be poured out upon you; and may he grant unto you eternal life, through the redemption of Christ, whom he has prepared from the foundation of the world.

By being baptized and entering the fold of God, we do covenant to serve him until we die. Our whole lives should be dedicated to Him. We are giving up, like Alma, a life of selfish action filled with efforts to gratify our carnal desires. Instead, we look to God. Alma goes on to promised Helam that the Spirit of the Lord [will] be poured out upon [him], and may he’ll be granted eternal life; through the redemption of Christ. 

Having the Lord’s spirit poured out upon us, then gaining eternal life, and being redeemed seem to me to be worthwhile rewards for serving God. In this case, as with all interactions and covenants with God, the rewards are greater than we can imagine if we keep his commandments. The people who have gathered to Alma seem to see it this way, too, because they not only accept the conditions he outlines, but, in verse 11, we are told they “clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.” They rejoiced in the blessing of baptism and the promised blessings of a loving Heavenly Father.

After the people are all baptized, Alma organizes them, ordains priests to teach small groups, and in verse 21, 
And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another.
I love this image of having hearts knit together in unity. Knitting brings together different colored yarn using different stitches to create a useful, warm, beautiful item.

I have often been asked over the past several weeks if I am happy now that I have been released as the Relief Society President. My answer is always the same, “It’s happy sad.” As the RSP, I keenly felt the responsibility of leading, caring for, and serving the sisters of our ward. I tried to be diligent in my service, and allow the Lord to work through me, but because I am human, I’m imperfect, and I carried around some guilt about not being able to do everything for everybody. I’m happy I can put that down and walk away.

But I am sad, too, because I no longer will have the rich blessing of seeing in a close and intimate manner all the ways you each keep the baptismal covenant Alma describes. As I have served, I have seen myriad ways you serve each other. You have borne each other’s burdens through physical and emotional turmoil. You have mourned with and comforted each other in times of darkness, despair, and grief. You have represented God and Jesus Christ, have kept the commandments, and have served them as you have served each other in large and small ways. 

I testify of the power of ministering when we rise to the call to love and serve each other in “higher and holier” ways. Though we are all different people with diverse talents and abilities and spiritual strengths, I have seen so many examples of being knit together in love as you have shared your warmth and usefulness (your service) to create beautiful friendships and relationships that help us become the children of God. It is impossible for one person, one RSP, to do all that needs to be done. I have not done it alone. I have had wonderful, perfect counselors who have given their time and talents to me and you and I love them. You have served me, you have served each other, you have been God’s hands. I love you and like the people of Alma, I clap my hands with joy at all the Lord has done and will continue to do for me and you as we remain faithful to him.

When I was set apart, Bishop Helquist reminded me that this work, the activity of the Church and the work of building the Kingdom, is the work of God and Jesus Christ and that all things happen in their time. Then he said, “As you do your best to be an instrument in their hands, miracles will occur in accordance to their timing.” I testify that I have seen miracles during my tenure as the RSP. I have seen them in my own life as the Lord has blessed and sustained our family through the most challenging trial of our marriage. And I have seen miracles in your lives as you have shared with me the Lord’s blessings to you. I know that the timing of the change in RS presidency is also the Lord’s. I fully sustain Hilary, Jill, Marianne, and Dakin in their new callings. I love them and know they will be wonderful.


Conclude with testimony--always.


No comments:

Post a Comment