Friday, August 28, 2020

A Colonoscopy

*Although they do exist, no pictures will be included in this post. *

I'm fifty now. I had my annual physical at the beginning of August, and now that I'm fifty, all sorts of exciting medical things get to happen for the first time, or the tenth time. This week, not only did I get to have a mammogram, I also got to have a colonoscopy. And because I was having a colonoscopy, the hospital required that I have a Covid test. It was a week of unpleasant things. 

I'm happy to report that while the mammogram was painful, it all came back clear. Phew! 
*This is where there could be pictoral evidence, but there's not.*

I'm also happy to report that while the Covid test wasn't a treat, it was less painful than the mammogram and of considerably shorter duration. 

Waiting for my turn to have a swab shoved up my nose.
Maureen advised that I inhale as they inserted the swab which would make it hurt less.
I did and it was bearable.

Then today, I had my colonoscopy. Everyone told me how awful the prep was, how miserable you are drinking the nasty stuff that clears you could completely, how badly you sleep because you've got to be to go every hour. I'm pleased to report that my prep wasn't horrible, I drank Miralax mixed with Crystal Light, and was able to sleep reasonably well for being on the couch and having to wake in the middle of the night to finish off the prep. 

Also even more pleased to report that I was out for the procedure, so the shoving of a camera up my posterior sounds super awful, I was unaware of it happening, and that's just the way I like it. The doctor did find one medium sized, pre-cancerous polyp, which he removed, so I get to do this all over again in three years. There are several pictures I could post here of both the polyp and its removal, as well as other parts of the inside of my colon, but you don't want to see them, and I don't want to show them to you. So no picture posted here. 

Kent came with me as I couldn't drive after the procedure, and then took me home so I could nap. 

While none of this was particularly pleasant, I am happy to report that I got paid to do all of it. I have accumulated sick leave pay, which will not be paid out to me after I am done at the Census, so I had to use it or lose it. I made pretty good money as the doctors smashed boobs, swabbed nostrils, and look around my large intestines. 

Three cheers for staying healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment