Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day

It was a fabulous Mother's Day, beginning to end.  When I look back, it was practically perfect.  We have early church this year, 9:00am, so there was no breakfast in bed, but that's okay.  I got up first, insuring I got a hot shower.  I got dressed and all ready, which seems like an insignificant point to mention, but brought about a funny exchange.  Just after Blythe got out of the shower, she asked if I had already picked out my outfit and what I was wearing.  I stood in my bedroom doorway and told her to look out her room.  She did, and then said, "Oh," in a very dejected sort of way.

"Is there something else you would like me to wear?" I inquired.  It seemed important to her, and as it was Mother's Day and Blythe frequently has a vision of how things should go on significant days, I wanted to accommodate her wishes.

"Can you wear your black and white polka dot dress today?" she asked.  It's an easy thing to change your clothes, so I did.  "And will you take off all your accessories, too?" she said.  It was at breakfast that I learned why.  Blythe and Kent had gone shopping yesterday at Charming Charlie and she had selected black drop earrings with a necklace to match, and a black snap bracelet to replace one Brandt broke last week during church.  They all went with my black polka dot dress, but not with the other outfit I had on.  Blythe had also made me a headband with MOM spelled out in pipe cleaners and beads.  When I opened it she said, "You don't have to wear it to church," clearly indicating that she really, really wanted me to.  So I did.  I'm not sure anyone looked me in the eye all day because their gaze was riveted on my crown.  Oddly, I was the only mom at church with one, but I'm sure I've set a precedent and lots of moms will have them next year.

In addition to the jewelry, Blythe made me a painted flower from a coffee filter and filled out a Mother's Day packet from school, the sort of packet with lots of fill-in-the-blank sentences.  Some of my favorite sentences were:

What do you love to do the most with your mom?  Garden
What's the smartest thing your mom has ever told you?  You need pashentes (patience).
If you could change one thing about your mom, what would it be?  She would be less mean.
What do you think your mom was like before she had kids?  Being with my dad.  (I think Blythe thought this was asking what I liked to do before I had kids.  I still like to be with her dad.)

And a fill in the blank poem:

My mom is as pretty as stanglass.
My mom is as nice as bunnys.
My mom is as smart as a braniac.
My mom is as caring as a mother can be.
My mom is as funny as I don't know.
My mom is as busy as bees.
My mom is as sweet as choclet.
My mom is as helpful as a mom can be.

Blythe also wrote 10 things she loves about me.  She said I was helpful, kind, funny, butaful, pasunt, caring, loving, a good gardener, like anamals, and always make time for her.

Brandt fashioned a Lego placard that said, "I Heart U."
From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.


We had three talks in sacrament meeting, all about mothers, and all excellent.  One of Rosemary Wilson's grandsons spoke, then Curtis Sorensen, and Jake Thornock.  They were uplifting and spoke about their mothers, but also spoke about womanhood and sacrifice and what we can all learn from the women in our lives.  I loved it!

Relief Society was wonderfully touching as well.  Stacie Mason was to teach, but at the beginning of her time she said that she had been deeply touched by two sisters last week who had given really nice compliments to each other.  She then said that she would open up the time to all of us to share something about a sister who has blessed us or is important to us in some way.  We passed the microphone and those who wished to share did, and those who didn't want to, didn't have to.  It was very sweet and I felt the spirit very strongly.

After church we came home and had some lunch, then I got a text from the bishop telling me a dear sister in our ward, Jean Larsen, had died very unexpectedly this morning and would I please join him at her house to be with her family.  I was stunned to learn of this, for although Jean was 84 years old, she was a vibrant, active person.  Her daughters were there and obviously having a hard time.  What a crummy day to have your mom die!

Mikayla dropped by a bit later to give me a basket of goodies.  She always does that.  I think it's awfully swell of her to honor me as a person who mothers her.  I love her and her little people.

Later this afternoon, we went over to Christopher and Tysen's for dinner.  Practically all the DeMartinis were there, as well as Steve and Camme Cox, Lacey and Rick and their kids, and Lindey and Corbin.  Christopher prepared lots and lots and lots of food--two kinds of steak, two kinds of chicken, mac-n-cheese, gratin potatoes, salad, fruit, and garlic bread--with help from me and as many of the children as I could entice to help.  He also bought a cake from the Mighty Baker which was delicious.  It was a lovely meal with lovely people at the end of a lovely day.  It was nice to be with my mom, too, and celebrate good women in our lives.  Here's to a happy day!

My phone was dying and this was the only picture I got from the day.
I'm wearing my crown which spells out "MOM" and my polka dot dress.
I sure love these two kids who call me mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment