Thursday, July 24, 2014

"Camping"

One of the activities on our Summer To-Do list was to camp in the backyard.  The children really, really, really love sleeping in a tent, and as Kent doesn't like to do camping at all (AT ALL), I promised the children we could sleep in the tent in the backyard.  They have been pestering me--"When?! When?! Tonight?! Tomorrow?! When?!"--so tonight was the night.  I pitched the tent, we gathered bedding, and both Brandt and Blythe ran wildly around and through the tent, giddy with excitement.  We prepared for bed and then took stories out to read, but still the thrill of sleeping outside in our very own tent was intoxicating.  It took a really, really, really long time for them to calm down and fall asleep, but eventually all was still and quiet in the tent.  

As happens every time I sleep in a tent, the night was long.  It rained during the night and I was reminded of how incredibly loud the rain is as it falls on a tent.  Fortunately I had put the rain fly over the top so we didn't get wet, but Brandt sat up, looked around, and then flopped back down on his pillow.  Blythe woke and demanded I give her her kiki and her stuffed rabbit, both of which were right next to her.  I told her they were there, but she didn't believe me and tried to climb over me to get them out of the opposite corner.  She had to be wrestled back to her side of the tent.  The birds were very chirpy as the sky began to lighten, and I was grateful we only had to sleep one night in the tent.  I remarked to Kent that he probably slept very soundly in our bed, alone, without me next to him snuffling, but even he didn't sleep well with us outside as he woke to the rain and worried about us getting wet.  Oh what fun!  Inspite of it all, I am happy the children enjoyed it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment