Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Trip to the Zoo With Friends Old and New

A couple weeks ago (the day my dad died), I met my MTC companion Kristi Morris Humble and three of her children at the zoo.  It had been over ten years since I saw her last, although we do communicate regularly electronically.  I wanted a face to face meeting, and it just so happens she has a son, Coltrin, who is Brandt's age, and twins, Luke and Lily, who are Blythe's age.  So we had a rendezvous at the zoo.

Brandt and Blythe were happy to be among the animals, although they didn't seem all that thrilled about being with me.  They kept running off, Brandt especially.  I would look around and he would be gone.  He was wearing a bright yellow shirt which was helpful when trying to locate him.  The children were initially somewhat uncomfortable with each other, but they warmed up eventually.

I was happy to see Kristi.  It felt like we were in the MTC a lifetime ago, and in a way, it was.  We entered the MTC twenty years ago in September.  Since then, we have both graduated from college, married, and had children (Kristi has had six!).  I remember my mission clearly and mostly fondly, and it started off well with Kristi as my first companion.  We laughed a lot.  It was nice to meet half her children and to get caught up on life, and to enjoy a friendship forged years ago that remains intact.

Thanks for a fun day Kristi!

Luke, Coltrin, and Lily riding a dinosaur.
Don't you go to the zoo to see dinosaurs?

Brandt climbed on.  
Blythe wouldn't have anything to do with it.

She wouldn't have much to do with the ape either.


Check out how close I was to this giraffe.  
She was so close I thought she might lick/kiss me. 



Brandt up close and Coltrin in the background on the zebra.

Luke, Kristi, and Lily.


It's a Brandt picture.



We took this picture with our timers.  
Aren't we cute!

Everyone was suddenly keen to be together when it was time to go home.
We had a good time.  You can tell.

We had such a good time, Blythe was completely worn out.
She fell asleep on the way home, slept through a removal and replacement from the car, 
and then kept sleeping after we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment