Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Girl

Blythe is a girl.  A girl who likes girl-y things, like baby dolls and jewelry.  And makeup.  Every time I am "putting on my face," she'll come into the bathroom and say, "Mom, I want to watch you."  She'll climb on the counter and watch intently as I apply foundation, powder, blush, eye shadow, liner, and mascara.  She'll get each cosmetic out of the bag and replace it when finished, and she'll always ask for some on her face too.  She gets to use powder and blush, both applied with a "tickler."

Apparently, powder and blush have proven insufficient for my girl.  She wanted more, and the other day, she got it.  Without me knowing, she found the makeup bag and attempted to apply mascara.  She did pretty well, at least getting the mascara in the general vicinity of her eyes.  We could only laugh and take a picture.

As a tomboy who does as little as possible with herself, I'm not sure I'm equipped to parent a true girl-y girl.  To her credit (in my opinion), Blythe does not like me to put frilly, foofy things in her hair, so thus far I have escaped the bane of having to do much with her hair.  In fact, this same picture sort of shows off her new bob.  I must also say, I find our Blythe beautiful, whatever she has done--or not done--with herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment