Saturday, May 15, 2010

Young Woman and the Sea



I just finished reading this really excellent book about Trudy Ederle, the first woman to successfully swim the English Channel.  I had read a review of it some time ago, was interested, and was not disappointed at all.  The book is well written; Stout's research seemed nearly exhaustive, the story of Trudy's life was engaging, and her success inspiring.  I read a large portion of it while riding my bike on the trainer.  Not only did it make the time pass quickly, but I felt good doing something athletic while reading about Trudy's remarkably athletic performance.

I used to think about what I could do to become "The First Woman to . . . "  I never did figure anything out.  From day to day my life seems excessively ordinary and somewhat mundane, fairly uneventful and mostly routine.  But I imagine most people have a life just like that too.  I would like to think that I was making a difference to women everywhere, but I know I will have to settle for making a difference on a far smaller scale.  "Women everywhere" is a lot of people to worry about, and I really only have enough energy to effectively take care of a few. 

Trudy didn't set out to change the world.  She set a goal for herself and then did what she needed to do to make her goal a reality.  I can do that same thing.  Perhaps my goals will be slightly smaller in scope than being a "first" or even a second.  I need to be willing to do whatever is expected of me by Heavenly Father and do it cheerfully and faithfully.  Trudy didn't seek fame or fortune and didn't get either in any lasting measure.  I'm not out for fame and fortune.  The message I took away from this book was that I can make a difference, where I am, at this time.  The difference is not likely to be of a grand scope, but it can be grand for those with whom I interact, and that would be significant, if only for a few.


So I'm going to keep swimming.


Figuratively.



No comments:

Post a Comment