Thursday, May 27, 2010

A worm, a gun, and a map

I had three funny conversations with Brandt today.  Each of them made me laugh.

We were out walking this morning and passed by the school.  Lots of children were out participating in field day and we stopped to watch.  A neighbor, Shae Weight, came over to say hello and pointed out a long worm on the ground.  We watched it wriggle around a bit, Shae reburied it, and we went on our way.  
  
As we walked away, Brandt asked, "Is it a boy or a girl worm?"
I said, "With worms, it's hard to tell."
Brandt thought for a moment then said, "It no have eyelashes.  It must be a boy."
I hadn't realized worms had eyelashes.  Well, girl worms anyway.


Later Brandt asked, "Blythe asleep.  I see strawberry blueberry gun?"  At least, strawberry blueberry gun is what it sounded like to me.  I said I didn't know what a strawberry blueberry gun was, and so I couldn't get it for him.  He took my hand, said, "Come with me," and then pulled me into the bedroom and to the closet where Kent keeps his Grandpa Droubay's .22 rifle.  Brandt pointed to the gun and said, "Strawberry blueberry gun," which is actually "Grandpa Droubay's gun."  They sort of sound alike when you run them all together.  I then had to spend the next twenty minutes telling Brandt stories about how he and Grandpa Droubay were guarding the sheep and a bear came and Brandt had to fire into the air to scare the bear away. Then there were wild dogs.  Really, Brandt should have been telling me the story, not the other way around.

In the evening, as I sat down to read to the children, I discovered that Brandt had written in pencil all over a wall.  I was not happy about his artistic efforts and I began to chastise him, telling him that I did not like to have to clean up his messes.  

Brandt said to me, "Mom, let me explain."  I had to stop myself from laughing, even though I was irritated.  It is so funny to hear things I say come out of my child's mouth.  Calmly I agreed to listen and he continued, "I needed to draw a map."  I was happy that he was willing to explain, but asked him if there was something else he could have done.  He said he could ask for paper and I agreed that would be a better option.  

I am anxious to hear what Brandt has to say tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Cutest conversations. hahaa. I dropped off DVD's to you guys today!! I hope you got them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did get them. Thanks! Sorry we missed you. Come again soon!

    ReplyDelete