Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Year Resolutions

Is it too late to proclaim my new year's resolutions?  It is, after all, the 21st of January.  Perhaps "procrastinate less" should be one of my resolutions.
But seriously.  Here they are.

1.  Iron more.  Or less.  I really don't like to iron.  It is a time-consuming, detail oriented task, and I find it eats up time I would rather spend doing other things.  But it has to be done.  When I am willing to do it, it must always be in front of the TV watching something fun.  Nothing mentally stimulating while I iron--oh no.  Day before yesterday I finally finished ironing a HUGE basketful of clothing.  It took me two days.  Not ironing straight through, of course, but I had to work on it over two days because it had been accumulating since the weather was warm (I did, among many other things, four short-sleeved shirts I probably won't wear again until April).  When all finished, I said to myself, "Katherine, you need to do something about this ironing business."

So I have resolved to either iron once a week, just like I do the laundry, so that it doesn't pile up and I can feel good about watching mindless television, or I need to send out to be laundered every article of clothing I own that ever gets wrinkly going through the washing process.  My guess is, the latter choice will win out.  (Hey! This resolution had nothing to do with saving money.)

2. Wear jewelry more frequently.  I have a lot of really cute jewelry and I don't wear it very often.  I don't do much with myself these days, but in an effort to look better, I am going to wear earrings.  At least.  And I can feel good about this resolution because it doesn't involve weight loss or watching what I eat.

3. Read as many non-fiction books as fiction.  This is a self-improvement sort of resolution.  So far I have read two non-fiction works and am half-way through a work of fiction.  This is definitely an accomplishable goal.  I believe if one is going to resolve to do anything, it should be reasonable and doable. 

There we are.  Three whole resolutions.  Are three resolutions an adequate number?  Is that enough?  Can I look forward to the new year with only three goals, one involving ironing? 

Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment