Friday, January 22, 2010

Green crayon removal--trial and error



While speaking on the phone this morning, for four brief minutes, Brandt found a green crayon (his favorite color!) and wrote all over the hallway walls and floors.  When I discovered his artwork, I went looking for his writing implement and found him upstairs having added flourishes to his toilet and the couch.  His hands were behind his back and he looked guilty.  Very guilty.  I held out my hand to take the crayon, and he handed it over without protest.

So, what to do about green crayon on the walls?  A search on the internet provided me with several possible solutions.

Baby wipes: Effective at removing general grime from the wall (and there is plenty of that), but completely ineffective at crayon removal.

Magic eraser: Too effective.  Took both crayon and paint off the wall.

Hairspray: Even though I was using super hold, it did nothing to remove the crayon.  Again, completely ineffective.

Goo Gone: Aha!  This was just the ticket.  The Goo Gone removed the crayon with a gentle circular scrubbing motion without removing the paint.  I did have to wash the walls after getting all the green crayon off, but that had the added effective of getting me to clean the hall walls which needed attention.  Should I be glad Brandt wrote on the walls, forcing me to clean something that was relative dirty and in need of a good wipe down?  Somehow, I don't think so. 

I did manage to get Brandt to help me with the removal.  His interest lasted approximately 4.6 seconds, 3 minutes and 56.4 seconds less than it took him to make his mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment