Friday, April 13, 2018

Mountains to Climb

Today in spin, Amy Woffinden said, "Strength comes with mountains." I've been feeling the truth of this over the past several weeks as Kent and I have been struggling with mountains of adversity that are weighing us down. We've felt overwhelmed, stressed, and almost crushed. We recognize, however, that it is during these times of adversity and challenge that our faith in Jesus Christ can be strengthened if we will just turn to him. I read a wonderful talk by President Henry B. Eyring this morning called "Mountains to Climb." He quotes President Kimball who said,
“There are great challenges ahead of us, giant opportunities to be met. I welcome that exciting prospect and feel to say to the Lord, humbly, ‘Give me this mountain,’ give me these challenges.”
We have not asked for the challenges. They are mountains I don't want to be climbing, much like I don't enjoy climbing mountains on my bike. I look for ways to avoid them when I'm riding. But the road we travel is never always flat, and Kent and I are gaining wonderful experience and compassion for others who suffer. We are drawing great strength from each other, and from the temple. We have felt God's love and know that He will not forsake us. He never has. He never will.
Elder Eyring says, "Now, I wish to encourage those who are in the midst of hard trials, who feel their faith may be fading under the onslaught of troubles. Trouble itself can be your way to strengthen and finally gain unshakable faith. If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing. In all conditions, we can choose the right with the guidance of the Spirit. We have the gospel of Jesus Christ to shape and guide our lives if we choose it. And with prophets revealing to us our place in the plan of salvation, we can live with perfect hope and a feeling of peace. We never need to feel that we are alone or unloved in the Lord’s service because we never are. We can feel the love of God. The Savior has promised angels on our left and our right to bear us up. And He always keeps His word."
I know this is true. I don't love the mountain we're climbing, but I love the Lord, I love his son, Jesus Christ, and I will rely on them. Climbing a mountain is always better with someone by your side to climb with you, and there is no better companion than our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment