Friday, April 14, 2017

Cereal Party

Today Brandt had a class party.  Several days ago he came home, thrilled to tell me all about the cereal party his class had earned.  What's a cereal party?  Well you many ask.  It's a party where you get to bring any kind of cereal you want and then everyone gets to eat as much as they want.  You know no one was going to bring healthy-ish cereal, like Bran Flakes or Raisin Bran or granola with dried fruits and nuts.  Oh no!  There was going to be a sugary assortment of boxes containing, in the words of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes, chocolate-coated sugar bombs.

Brandt insisted that we go to the store and get him just what he wanted, and as this was a party earned for good behavior, I agreed.  He lobbied for bringing three boxes of cereal, but I felt two cereals was adequate.  And what did he choose?  Cookie Crisp and Captain Crunch, both with lots of sugar.

When Brandt got home today, I asked how the cereal party went.  He said, "Guess how many bowls of cereal I had?"

"Four?" I guessed.

Not even close.  "I had TEN bowls of cereal!" he shrieked in delight, then giggled like a madman.  I suspect it was hilarity brought on by an overdose of sugar.  During the party, they watched Disney shorts and ate lots and lots and lots and lots of cereal.  Fifth grade is the bomb.  A chocolate-coated sugary one.

No comments:

Post a Comment