Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Being a woman in Kabul, and being one here

For book group this month, I selected The Bookseller of Kabul.  The author, Asne Seierstad, is a Norwegian woman journalist who lived for several months with the family of a man who owns several bookstores in Kabul.  She gives the reader an insider's view of this family's personal interactions and relationships.  


Quite frankly, it was depressing.  The family lives in very humble circumstances in spite of being comparatively well off, and the women, especially, seem to have such miserable existences.  They cook, they clean, they wear the burka, they are denied education and employment opportunities.  They are oppressed with no real hope of release or change.  


I naturally compared my life experience to theirs.  I too cook and clean.  While I sometimes feel oppressed because those tasks are part of my life responsibilities, I get to cook whatever I want and I get to clean a lovely, large home.  In fact, we enjoy enormous variety in what we eat and only yesterday I hired someone to help with the cleaning.  


I have never been denied educational opportunities.  My formal education has ended, but I still have access to books and experiences that enrich my life and fulfill my intellectual needs.  And while I don't work, I consider it a tremendous blessing that I don't have to work.  Kent fully supports me in my endeavors and wants me to succeed in anything I do.  


And burkas.  I'm not sure it is even worth commenting about burkas.   


So as I compare and contrast, I feel so incredibly fortunate to be a woman where I am.  And not just geographically.  


I am the wife of a fine man.
I am the mother of two beautiful, healthy, interesting, funny, bright children.
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I am a cherished daughter and daughter-in-law.  
I am a valued sister and sister-in-law.
I am a doctor of arts.
I am an American.
I am a friend and neighbor.
I am a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment