Saturday, August 4, 2018

Ward Campout

Last night was our annual ward campout.  There are always a core group of people who attend the campout, and it's always a good time.  Kent did not want to camp, but I told the kids we could stay overnight.  Tami and Aaron Oyler are out of town, and I had agreed to have Jarom and Sam hang out with us yesterday, so we took them camping with us, too.

We met at Cherry Campground up Hobble Creek Canyon.  It was a BYOD (bring your own dinner), but dessert was provided.  We were to come prepared to share a song, story, or skit, and then we gathered around the campfire to talk, roast marshmallows, and pop popcorn.  We brought two tents, one for Brandt, Jarom, and Sam, and one for me and Blythe.  I wanted to have my scouts help set up the tents, but they were off climbing around and getting filthy dirty mcnasty.  So Bishop Helquist helped me pitch the tents, and I, in turn, helped the Drakes.  Kent, who had been camping with the scouts only last week, drove up with Richard Ledford and stayed to visit for a bit before taking Richard home and sleeping in our bed.

The campfire program was very silly.  I started us off with "3 Sharp-toothed Buzzards," the Bishop followed with "My Aunt Came Back," and all the kids did super silly skits or magic tricks.  Perhaps my favorite was Kirk Blad who was a raindrop.  He huddled up on the ground, with his legs crossed and tucked into his chest.  He began screaming like he was falling, then "hit the ground" by quickly rolling to his back spread eagle and saying, "Splat!"  Very funny.

We sat around the fire after the program and talked.  It's so nice to be able to visit with neighbors and know that we all like each other.  About 9:30, Blythe came to me and said she was ready for bed.  I went with her to the tent, letting Brandt know we were done for the night.  Just as we crawled into the tent, it began to rain.  Brandt, Jarom, and Sam raced to their tent, and as they climbed in, it began to hail.  It came down loudly on the tents, and Blythe expressed some nervousness and concern about our safety.  I assured her we would be fine.  We might get a little wet, but I didn't think it would be bad, we would be fine, and we could even get a decent night's sleep.  The boys settled in and were doing a bit too much talking, but Blythe and I both took a melatonin, I had earplugs, and we snuggled into our sleeping bags and went to sleep under the rain and hail.  I continued to hear the boys for a bit, but after some encouragement to shut their mouths, they went to sleep, too.





The morning was clear and lovely, not to cool.  Each family had brought up a box of cereal, so we had that, bagel, and fruit for breakfast.  The kids monkeyed around a bit more, we cleaned up camp and dismantled everything, then headed home.  We were back before 9:30, very dirty but very satisfied with the whole camping out experience. 

Brandt began collecting sticks when he was just old enough to walk.
What boy doesn't like a stick?
I guess I figured he would eventually grow out of stick collecting.
It hasn't happened yet.

This hill was right next to our camp.
The children (like ALL the children) climbed up it,
but then slid down it, through the dirt the whole way down.
Brandt and Blythe's shoes were full of dirt when we got home,
and their socks were black.
I suppose, if you are dirty, it's a true indication of how much fun you've had.


Blythe had a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment