Monday, August 20, 2018

An Apology

It was my turn to read to Blythe tonight.  At 8:27 I went into her bedroom and began to read while she was in the bathroom.  I read for about twenty minutes before she appeared in her room.  I said, "You didn't flush the toilet," to which she replied, "I didn't go to the bathroom."  Twenty minutes I had been waiting, thinking she was taking care of business and brushing her teeth before coming to bed.  I don't know what she was doing for the twenty minutes that I was waiting for her, but I was fairly unhappy that she didn't seem to care that I had been there.  I like reading to the children in the evening, having that one-on-one time with them, a chance to snuggle up next to them and share a story.  It's a time they will frequently open up and ask questions or share something from their day, and I consider it sacred time.  To have Blythe squander it made me mad/sad, and so I rose from the bed, said, "It's obvious you are not interested in having me read to you," kissed her goodnight, and left the room.  She insisted she did want me to read, but her actions told me differently, a fact I pointed out to her.  I went away and didn't read.

When I came up to bed, I found this by my pillow--Big-o-pot-a holding an apology.  It was as if my silly daughter was there in bed, waiting to apologize.  I couldn't be upset anymore.  That Blythe is infuriating sometimes, but wonderful at the very same time, too.

Just as a note, Big-o-pot-a is my stuffed hippo from my youth.
She's the only stuffed animal I saved because she was/is my favorite.
Blythe has adopted her.

No comments:

Post a Comment