Monday, August 27, 2018

Funny Children

Sometimes the children say things that make me laugh.   Often, in fact.  Just recently Brandt came up with both of these doozies, and not wanting to forget them, I have recorded them here.  You know. For posterity.

A bit of background on the first.  Brandt had sixth grade maturation in January and brought home a whole booklet all about the male reproductive organs and their functions, as well as changes that happen to a boy's body at puberty.  That particular evening, it was my turn to read to Brandt, and he handed it to me and said, "Mom, will you read this with me tonight?"

The title of this little booklet is "Just for Boys," and I said, "Wouldn't you rather read this with Dad?  He is a boy, after all."

"No," Brandt said. "I want to read it with you."  So, wanting to foster an open, frank, non-embarrassed relationship with my son, I agreed to read it to him.  We read, in great detail, all about the changes that Brandt could expect, with all the terms and words you don't want to be using in polite conversation, and I managed to do it all without blushing.  In my head I was screaming, "KENT SHOULD BE DOING THIS WITH BRANDT!!! HE'S THE DAD!!" but I did it, answered questions, made pertinent observations.  I feel somewhat cheated because I'm going to have to do this all over again with Blythe, and thought I would only really have to do it with her, our female child.  But no.  Kent is getting off so easy.  The topic of Brandt's first quote stems from the reading of the pamphlet, and comparing his "trials" with Blythe's.

Parenting is amusing.

Brandt: "I would rather have wet dreams than bleed."

Brandt: "I don't want to go to hell.  I want to go to Taco Bell.  Hey! That rhymes."  I'm somewhat surprised that Brandt didn't say, "I don't want to go to Yellowstone," that wouldn't have rhymed with Taco Bell at all.


The other night, we were talking about toilets at dinner.  I know.  Eye roll.  Why, you ask, were we talking about that?  Blythe had watched some program about million dollar rooms, and she had seen an amazing bathroom, bigger than our living room, with a gold toilet that did all sorts of fancy things.  Jokingly, I said, "Does it sing to you?"

Immediately, Blythe sang, "Do you see what I see?"

She is quick and wickedly funny!

Kent: Our Blythe has fashion sense.
Blythe: Well obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment