Monday, July 4, 2022

4th of July Celebrations

The 4th of July is an exhausting holiday. I love it, but I'm always tired and sort of cranky because I never get enough sleep. This year was no exception, but we had a wonderful time celebrating all the good things.

For several years now, in sort of tradition fashion, Mikayla and I have spent from 11:00pm to 3:00am along the parade route, saving a spot. We do it at our neighbors, Nelson and Hilary Davis' place of work which is on Center Street. While they can rope off the yard, they can't reserve the mow strip until 5:00am. So, in order to ensure a great watching seat, Mik and I go and sit up, making sure no one tries to move in on the space. Tonight, we played a couple of games, munched on some snacks, froze homemade ice cream so I wouldn't have to do it after the parade, and talked and talked and talked. That's the best part. Uninterrupted, long, thoughtful conversation with my sister does my mental well-being so much good, even if I'm getting that boost in the middle of the night. 

It was good we went tonight because someone had set up a cot like thing and some chairs right on the sidewalk so that at 5:00am they could step onto the mow strip and take the spot. The police wander up and down the street, or drive slowly back and forth to make sure that no one is violating the 5:00am rule and we hailed a couple of them to ask if we could move the stuff. They said we could. We didn't move it far, just off the property, next door, and behind the sidewalk. Our time there was worthwhile.

Not a brilliant picture, but it was probably 2:30am 
so we didn't have to look stellar.

We went back for parade watching after I had slept. The parade starts at 9:00am and I like to leave the house by 8:15ish so we can get downtown, find a parking spot, and get to the house. Kent usually drops us off on 100 North and then goes to park. While the parade is long and slow moving, it is fun to be with family and neighbors, watch for the horses, yell at the enormous balloon walkers to spin, and cheer on armed forces members and the missionaries who always walk in a huge group. The Davises made shaved ice so we had cool yumminess as we watched. All in all, a good time was had by all. Ruth joined us in Blythe's place; she didn't want to come this year. I was fairly certain I took a family picture, but I can't find it. Maybe I'll add it in later. Until then, here are lots of pictures from the parade.


















Freya and Thea wanted to return home with me after the parade, and as I needed to make food the afternoon/evening festivities, I told them they could come help me. Here is a what I'm calling "Helpful Children: A Story in Pictures."

Thea and Freya are helping me make potato salad.
Thea is mixing the sauce.
Freya is peeling a hard-boiled egg.


We were practicing "clean as you go"
so after making potato salad,
Thea and Freya helped with clean up.
They were both in their cute 4th of July dresses 
and I didn't want them to get soaked.

They ended up naked.


The floor ended up wet.

We wound up at Mom's house for swimming, barbecuing, and some very tame fireworks, especially compared to years past. But it was all a good time, with tasty food, wet fun, and a late night. We were all exhausted by the end of the night. But here's to the United States of America, our freedoms, and living in the Promised Land with all we need and much, much more.





No comments:

Post a Comment